Pages

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

In "Other" Words: Be patient

This week's "In 'Other' Words" is hosted by Bonnie at her site, Ink It Blog. She has chosen a quote by Elisabeth Elliot. This week's quote is:
"He [God] is very patient with us when we are trying to be patient with Him."
~Elisabeth Elliott ~

An adage goes—“Patience is a virtue”. But it’s amazing how easy it is for us to be impatient. It easily shows in simple situations like falling in long lines, traffic jams, or just merely waiting for someone.

I’m guilty of being impatient. It was when our daughter was diagnosed of neonatal seizure when she was 3 weeks old. The procedure she has gone through to detect the cause was really strenuous for a baby of that age. She went in and out of the lab for couple of times, in and out of the ER for several unsuccessful lumbar tap. Whenever the unsuccessful session is done and we went back to the room, I feel deeply sad. I was already asking God why. Why it had to be our baby? How long will she had to go through this? But then I get immediately convicted by God to be patient for His answer, and be still and know that he is God. He knows everything.

It was after a couple of weeks, with our pervent prayers, when the doctor told us that its not something that we should worry about. The seizure is not because of any infection. The doctor said she'll be okay and will just outgrow it, but then she still had to take some medication for maintenance until she's two years old.... Praise God!

We tend to lose patience abruptly in situations that we want to get immediate answer. Sometimes we tend to do things our way… which in the end would not only hurt ourselves but God’s heart the most. But amidst our impatient attitude toward God, He is patient with us. Like a real father. He waits until we ask him to take the wheel from our hands and let Him drive for us.

As for me, when I’m tempted to be impatient, I utter this verse over and over...

“Be still and know that I am God” Psalm 46:10


…and then I’ll be assured of one thing. God is patient with me, so I must be patient with His answers.

1 comment:

Denise said...

May you be sweetly blessed.