Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thankful Thursday: Appreciation


The speaker for our midweek service last night talked about trusting God, not just on our bigger problems but also on small day to day circumstances that we face. It's true. Most people only asked God's help when things are already out of their control. When problems are as big as mountains. And when they know that they can still do something about their problem, they put God last on the list to be the last resort.

He also talked about thanking God for everything that he has given us. Because sometimes, people also tend to overlook the small things around them. Specially when they are busy and preoccupied. Sometimes they don't appreciate renewed life when we wake up on a new day, the things that we can see, the sounds that we hear, and so on. His message focused on two special woman. Frances Jane Crosby (Fanny Crosby) and Helen Keller. These women have disabilities but was far more trusting to God and more appreciative of life. Crosby was never bitter about her disability. At the age of eight she wrote these verses about her condition:

Oh what a happy soul I am,
Although I cannot see;
I am resolved that in this world
Contented I will be.

How many blessings I enjoy,
That other people don't;
To weep and sigh because I'm blind,
I cannot, and I won't."

She later remarked:

It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for the dispensation. If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow I would not accept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me.

And of course, Helen Keller was an inspiration to many.

If they, blind and deaf, did not waiver, trusted God, increased their faith and move on, appreciated life despite disabilities, how much more us with complete senses and lives a normal life? We should be more appreciative of the things that God is giving us.

I'm thankful for the message last night. It made me appreciate more, the life that I have and the things that God has been giving to me and my family. I am so thankful that God has always been with us. Through good and bad times. We are currently experiencing some down times but still, we're putting our trust in God. He is good!


More thankful entries here.


4 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. We all do have so many things to be thankful for, don't we?

Hope you have a wonderful Thursday!
Karen

LAURIE said...

Wow .. now that will get into your spirit if we just think about how much those with handicaps can give gratitude ... how much more should we? We take so much for granted...our sight, our hearing, etc. I am grateful for my health, my mind and for knowing Jesus Christ! Happy TT!

Denise said...

Such a beautiful post, bless you for sharing.

Rita T. said...

Thanks for the wonderful post AND your thankful heart!